You can play taiko!
Starting in June 2021, we are teaching casual beginner lessons at our outdoor practices in Schenley Park.
Because we’re outside, our practice schedule depends on the weather! We will plan the weekend practice by Thursday night and let everyone know the exact date and time by email.
To join these beginner sessions, please let us know you’re interested by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto link). We’ll add you to the weekend lesson announcement list so you know when our next lesson will be.
Practices will be either Saturday or Sunday, starting at 10 am or 1 pm, depending on weather and other conflicts.
Beginner lessons will happen at the start of our practice and last about an hour.
There is no charge for these lessons, but donations are welcome.
Covid safety guidelines
- Outdoor gatherings are relatively low risk, but we will require reasonable distancing and sanitation measures.
- Please wear a mask if you are not fully vaccinated.
- All of our core group is fully vaccinated, which is why we’ve been unmasked in our recent photos. However, if you aren’t comfortable being around unmasked people, let us know – we are flexible and want to make sure everyone feels safe.
- Please don’t participate if you are ill or have recently been exposed to someone with covid-19 symptoms. We can wait!
What to expect
Each lesson will include:
- Calisthenics and other exercises to get your body ready to play
- Lessons on how to stand and how to hit
- Drills to learn and improve your taiko skills
- Learning some simple taiko repertoire
Please wear comfortable clothing and sturdy shoes. A bottle of water is nice to have. (Unfortunately, we don’t have rest rooms available in the park, so plan accordingly…!) You might want earplugs, although the sound is not as intense outdoors as it is in our studio.
We provide drums and drumsticks (bachi).
These classes are designed for adults; older kids (13+) are welcome with a parent or guardian.
Please join us!