Interested in learning how to play taiko? Join us for a beginner workshop!
Our next session will be a four-week class in July 2017.
Each week, we will do some calisthenics and drills, work on improving skills, and learn some simple taiko repertoire.
No experience is necessary!
Class dates and times:
Saturday, July 01, 2017, 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
Saturday, July 08, 2017, 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
Saturday, July 15, 2017, 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
Saturday, July 22, 2017, 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM
Classes will be held at Winchester Thurston School City Campus, in the Upper School building – 435 Morewood Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
About the Workshop
Over the course of the workshop, you will learn basic movements and techniques used to play taiko.
Drumsticks will be provided, as will earplugs (although you’re welcome to bring your own if you have some).
Registration for the four-week course is $40 for community members, $25 for students (9th grade and up), and $20 for JASP members.
Things to Know
- As taiko are loud, and we’ll be in an enclosed space, we highly recommend wearing earplugs (but don’t worry if you don’t have any – we’ll have some disposable/reusable ones available for you).
- Playing taiko is a physical activity, so please wear something comfortable in which you can easily move around, and in which you don’t mind sweating.
- We suggest bringing a water bottle (you can fill it up in the building).
- Please note that street shoes are not used in the practice space. If you’re not comfortable barefoot, bring a second pair of clean shoes, or yoga socks (with grip).
- Please enter the Winchester Thurston Upper School from the main driveway on Morewood – we’ll have someone there to greet you and instruct you on how to get to our practice space. The upper school is the building between Bayard St. and Bayard Rd (entrance to Amberson Apartments).
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us at pitt.taiko [a] gmail.com.
Thanks, and we hope to see you there!