Interested in learning how to play taiko? Join us for a beginner workshop!
Our next session will be a four-week class starting March 31, 2018.
Each week, we will do some calisthenics and drills, work on improving skills, and learn some simple taiko repertoire.
No experience is necessary!
Class dates and times:
Spring 2018 Schedule –
2:00-3:30 PM each week
- Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Saturday, April 7, 2018
- Saturday, April 14, 2018
- Saturday, April 21, 2018
Classes will be held at Winchester Thurston School City Campus, in the Lower School building – 555 Morewood Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
About the Workshop
Over the course of the workshop, you will learn basic movements and techniques used to play taiko.
Drumsticks will be provided, as will earplugs (although you’re welcome to bring your own if you have some).
This class is designed for adults and students in high school or older.
Registration for the four-week course is $40 for community members, $25 for students (9th grade and up), and $20 for JASP members.
Things to Know
- As taiko are loud, and we’ll be in an enclosed space, we highly recommend wearing earplugs (but don’t worry if you don’t have any – we’ll have some disposable/reusable ones available for you).
- Playing taiko is a physical activity, so please wear something comfortable in which you can easily move around, and in which you don’t mind sweating.
- We suggest bringing a water bottle (you can fill it up in the building).
- Please note that street shoes are not used in the practice space. You can go barefoot, but because the floor is slippery you might want to bring a second pair of clean shoes, or yoga socks (with grip). As close to barefoot as possible is best!
- Please enter the Winchester Thurston from the main driveway on Morewood – we’ll have someone there to greet you and instruct you on how to get to our practice space. (The lower school is the building between Ellsworth and Bayard St.)
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us at pitt.taiko [a] gmail.com.
Thanks, and we hope to see you there!